Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Meditation and Puberty?

The youngest members of our family are my two amazing boys who are 11 and 12 years old. For all those parents out there, you know that means they are entering that stage in life that is filled with emotions, challenges, frustrations, excitement and some misplaced aggression.
I remember what a rollercoaster my teen years were and it wasn't so long ago that our older girls went through it as well. Lately, I have been seeing some budding mood swings and lack of emotional self control from my sweet little guys (who aren't so little anymore) and I want to help them navigate this crazy time, for their sake and for the rest of the family.
I have been reading a lot about the many benefits of mediation recently and everything I've learned seems like exactly what every adolescent needs! There is no doubt that self empowerment, peace and control are beneficial to everyone at every age! It just seems to me that those skills would be particularly helpful for teens that are struggling to understand all of the changes that are going on around and within them.
I asked the boys if they would be willing to give meditation a try for 30 days. My younger son asked if it would help him hit home runs and throw more strikes in baseball and my older son asked if it would help him not get so upset when he competes. I explained that meditation wouldn't take the place of hard work and practice but that it will help them with self control, focus and their inner power. They both agreed pretty quickly and they are now on day #3. I can't explain how proud I am of their open minds and willingness to help themselves reach their goals!
I am curious and excited to see how they feel about the process after the 30 days are up.
Of course I have committed to the 30 day meditation routine as well. I certainly need to practice what I preach and I could use some personal calmness and peace also.
Who couldn't? :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment